Technical Group 2: Driver Requirements
Technical Group 2 for Driver Requirements is established to develop supporting standards, policies and tools for CLOCS-A which relate to the minimum training, competency and fitness for duty requirements for drivers who operate heavy vehicles (>4.5t GVM) in complex road environments (urban and rural) and share the road with vulnerable road users such as pedestrians, bicycle riders and motorcycle riders.
The CLOCS-A Technical Group 2: Driver Requirements has been established specifically to develop:
- Overarching training and competency standards which provide heavy vehicle drivers with the knowledge, skills and motivation to operate heavy vehicles safely in diverse road environments and share the road safely with vulnerable road users and develop empathy for them; and
- Standards for ensuring driver fitness for duty in the construction industry.
- Tools and systems need to be underpinned by evidence and guided by the Safe System approach to road safety.
- Tools and guidance need to be relevant, intuitive, adaptable and scalable depending upon the size of the project and/or entities/organisations using the tools and guidance.
- What is developed can be applied and shared across the entire industry – one standard.
- Where possible, build on what already exists and is being used and then look to adapt.
- Contributions and background Intellectual Property are all acknowledged and once agreed is identified as CLOCS-A.
- The Technical Group 2 is a contributor within the CLOCS-A eco-system and where appropriate will ensure the outputs align with other Technical Groups.
- Meetings can be held virtually and as required.
- In the unlikely event the Technical Working Group disagree in a recommendation are referred to the Steering Group to resolve.
- Reflect the original purpose of CLOCS-A which is community safety.